[tz] Extra transition for Europe/London with 2023d

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Jan 6 20:52:18 UTC 2024

On 2024-01-06 12:25, Guy Harris via tz wrote:
> Not all users of the TZDB data use the tzdb code.  Some use the source
> files rather than the TZif files, and I think some use the TZif files
> but have their own code to read them

This partly depends on what one means by "their own code". On my Fedora
39 system, for example, even /usr/bin/zdump uses the GNU C Library's
TZif-reading code, not tzcode's. Although there might be a distant
relationship between glibc's TZif reader and tzcode's, by now they are
quite separate code bases.

In contrast, the BSDs tend to use code derived from tzcode, though the
code bases diverged years ago. Possibly these could be unified if
someone had the time. Presumably that'd be a good thing....