The choice and inspiration for FreeBSD - Am I on my right way?

Hello Forum & Folks,

I just registered myself because I wanted to ask something. I am back to Apple about 2 or 2,5 years ago. Before that, I used Windows. I use Windows sometimes now too, but virtual on my MacBook Air. I like my Apple ecosystem (iPhone, iPad Air, MacBook Air) very much. It is mobile and very handsome for me as a „user“.

About two weeks ago I did an installation on one of my old ThinkPads with FreeBSD. I had some issues with booting. I used GParted for formatting the SSD and then the installation went very well. I really liked the commands pgk update for example. I had some Linux in the past, but with FreeBSD everything feels „easier“. I was really amazed and had/have more relation to it. Of course as a newbie I bought the book from No Starch Press „Absolute FreeBSD 3rd Edition“ (and 2 or 3 books more about BSD). And I read it a lot together with the FreeBSD Handbook from this webpage.

The point is, I still have a big PC-case around here (Corsair Obsidian 1000) which I wanted to sell. And while I am „consuming“ more and more videos on YouTube from some great channel(s) about FreeBSD, I can’t shake off the thoughts of building a FreeBSD workstation. It always comes back in my mind, „freedom of choice“ and create a system that is stable, lasts very long with some good quality hardware. I would have a separate system on which I can work and backup some stuff on a network-drive. I really would like to see how good some programs work (graphic and photo design, banking, office, etc.) too, because a lot of people here in the forum wrote that they don’t use Apple or Windows anymore and go with FreeBSD. And maybe, if everything goes fine, I would cancel my Apple ecosystem too and prepare a ThinkPad for a mobile solution (just a thought....).

Did some of you came to FreeBSD on this way too? Did some of you experienced this too? And of course, is my opinion right? Because I can’t shake it off in head to have the freedom on computing like in the „early days“. And I am looking for a new book „The Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System“. Which I would order on Amazon. I am very curious.....

Tell/write me your thoughts. Like I said, I maybe more a „user“ and we don’t speak about click&work like Apple. But when I had problems with some pkg which I wanted to delete. It came nearly easy to me to do this command. Maybe it was good that they teached me some MS-DOS in my younger days…. ;-)

I hope I placed this in the right category here in the forum and please excuse me if I did some mistakes in english. I am from germany and don’t speak english very often.

Thank you for your thoughts, answers and advices. And please tell me if there is a book/booklet where I can find commands for FreeBSD. Maybe there is a webpage on freebsd.org with commands? And of course, where I can find more programs for FreeBSD? I found freebsdsoftware.org about 1 or 2 days ago…. .

chris

Hi Chris,
thank you for introducing yourself. First it is a very good idea to have a spare computer to do the first steps running FreeBSD. Then there is no need to worry about what can go wrong. If you are a little bit familiar with Linux it is not difficult to change to FreeBSD. If you want to get in touch with the system it is necessary to use the terminal.

Regarding configuration and administration the FreeBSD Handbook https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/ is excellent. In case of issues you will often find solutions by digging in old threads of this forum.

With respect to software there is almost everything available. https://www.freshports.org/ is a good resource to find what is available. You will find almost everything which is open source.
Kind regards,
Christoph

You don't have to choose just one operating system. There's no one perfect operating system or eco-system.

If you like the Apple stuff, carry on using it. But no harm broadening your horizons and seeing how other operating systems and software work.

NewInFreeBSD welcome to The FreeBSD Forums. You'll find most other introductions here:

Everyone, please: CAUTION

… found http://freebsdsoftware.org …

Please refrain from visiting that site. I'll review, and explain, later.

Update, 23:10 BST

The adjacent product-related site, one that is promoted by freebsdsoftware.org, is crash-tastic in Firefox. At least one Wayback Machine capture of site also causes Firefox to crash.

Crashes aside: at a glance, I can't find any evidence that the product-related site serves malicious content. Two of its pages have the all-clear in Malwarebytes Browser Guard, and <https://www.virustotal.com/> finds no problem with its home page.

Back