Re: [wg-c] Pre-sold TLDs

At 04:28 PM 4/17/00 -0700, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> > ICANN wouldn't be cancelling an exisitng contract, it would be refusing to
> > recognize obligations to which it was not a party.
>
>No doubt that it can do that.  However, the question is whether it would
>be a legitimate thing to do.

Take a look at the P.O. and make your own mind up. The USG signed a
purchase order and contract for ICANN to continue the functions of IANA:

http://www.icann.org/general/iana-contract-09feb00.htm

     2. SCHEDULE OF SERVICES
     The Contractor shall provide services to perform the
     operation of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
     (IANA) in accordance with the Statement of Work,
     Section 12 of this purchase order.

Note that there is no authorization for any "substantial" changes in
policy. Presumably, this allows the continuation of the majority of the
prior work of IANA (which has to include all of the RFC1591 submissions):

     12.5 PERFORMANCE EXCLUSIONS
     - This purchase order, in itself, does not authorize
       the contractor to make substantive changes in
       established policy associated with the performance
       of the IANA functions.

P.S. No doubt some bonehead like will object to me posting this.

Best Regards,

Simon

--
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds
discuss people, and Fools argue.