[wg-c] Guidelines for the initial rollout of new gTLDs

Wed, 05 Apr 2000 Jonathan Weinberg wrote:
 >  What do people think?

I agree that we do need both open and restricted (chartered) TLDs. Since we
can't call them the S/K principles, why not call them the "WG-C
Guidelines"? I do think that "guidelines" is a good word though because you
will never find a "one-size-fits-all" set of rules that will work in every
situation. If you have some guides like this to go by - it will allow the
board to make decisions faster and with less doubt because these guideline
will suggest the things that should be considered before creating a gTLD.

 > 1. The initial rollout should include both open, unrestricted TLDs and
 > chartered TLDs with more limited scope.  (In these guidelines, the term
 > "gTLD" is used to refer to both.)

I agree.

 > 2. An application for a chartered TLD should explain what meaning will be
 > imputed to the proposed TLD string, and how the new TLD will be perceived
 > by the relevant population of net users.

I think this is a bit unclear. I would instead say something like this:

  "An application for a chartered (or restricted) TLD should explain the
intended meaning of the string as it will be presented to the population of
net users. Are there any known meanings besides the intended meaning that
may be interpreted  by the general public?"

 > 3. An application for a chartered TLD should explain how the registry will
 > enforce the charter.  Possible enforcement mechanisms may be as simple as
 > registrant self-selection (relying on the principle that registrants will
 > typically not find it desirable to locate in incongruous TLDs) or as
 > elaborate as pre-registration screening by the registry.

I have to disagree with this point as well. I do not think that the
registry should be the ones who are tasked with the job of enforcement. NSI
has had always been "blessed" with the fact that it is untouchable. They
are not in the enforcement business - and they never got dragged down that
rat hole. The UDRP and the courts should be the ones deciding on the
enforcement based on the guidelines established in the charter. If the
owner of the SLD is in violation of the charter - then the registry would
be ordered by the court to revoke the name of the offender. But, the
registry should not make these decisions on their own. If the UDRP does not
work --- than why even have it ???

 > 4. These guidelines should not be read to impose overly bureaucratic
 > procedures on registries.

I agree (this should not be a numbered item - this should be at the head of
this list !!)

 > 5. The selection of a gTLD string should not confuse net users, and so
 > gTLDs should be clearly differentiated by the string and/or by the
 > marketing and functionality associated with the string.

I agree.

 > 6. A gTLD should not unnecessarily increase opportunities for malicious or
 > criminal elements who wish to defraud net users.

I would change last sentence to: "...who wish to defraud *or confuse* net
users."

 > 7. New gTLDs should foster competition in the supply of domain names and in
 > the provision of Internet applications and services.  The authorization
 > process for new gTLDs should not be used as a means of protecting existing
 > service providers from competition.

I agree.

 > 8. New gTLDs should foster the expression of views, both commercial and
 > non-commercial.

I would even go as far to suggest a NEW gTLD specifically for
non-commercial entities. Since commercial interests bring lots of money to
the table - their views are ALWAYS going to be heard. But, special
provisions should be made for non-commercial entities to have protected
name space that can't be infringed upon by commercial interests. I agree
with James Love on some issues concerning this.

 > 9. New gTLDs should become available to meet the needs of an expanding
 > Internet community.

I agree. I would even go as far to say: "..available immediately to meet
the needs of an expanding community and networked infrastructure." It is
not just people on the Net anymore... new devices are coming online
everyday - and we need to accommodate all the nodes being connected.

Kendall