Re: [wg-c] .eu

> ...it would be better to have a private organisation
> administering the .eu (or .eur) instead of a governmental institution.
> After all, that also seems to be the intention of the European
> Commission.

How a "country" with a ccTLD administers its TLD is its own choice.

But what I am hearing you say is that you want to be more of a gTLD than a
ccTLD.  If so, your proposal ought to be considered just another gTLD and
ought to be given no special regard or priority among any of the other
proposals.

> We have the following questions:
> Who will own the rights of the gTLD .eu, if it is created?
> What is your opinion on when there will be a decision?

The property right that you are asking about is merely a contractual right
- between you (or whoever) and ICANN that lets you tell ICANN (or its
designated registrar/registry) to modify the data associated with your
gTLD.

And it is useful to remember that the ICANN root system is but one of an
infinite number of potential DNS root systems that may be created and
operated entirely apart from- and with no coordination with- the ICANN
franchise root system.  So the contractual right you are getting is merely
the right to have .eu in the ICANN telephone directory.  You will have to
make distinct arrangements with the other directory providers if and as
they arise.

		--karl--