Re: [wg-c] new TLDs

On 22-Dec-1999 Mark C. Langston wrote:
> Yes, if chartered or sponsored TLDs are to be created, a line would
> need to be drawn somewhere.  Yes, it might exlude those on the outskirts
> of falling into the criteria specified by the charter.  So?  I fail to
> see the point.  A line is drawn.  Fine.  The purpose is not to be all
> inclusive, the purpose is to be exclusive to a large part.  Yes, perhaps

The problem would be that the TLD creates an illusion of legitimacy, and those
who are just outside that criteria you mention would have to suffer under a
consumer misconception that they are somehow illegitimate because they don't
qualify for a domain under that TLD.

> Let me put it another way:  The free-for-all, anything-goes, pay-now
> and-let's-sort-out-the-lawsuits later approach to TLD management has
> led us here, today;  it has given us ICANN and the DNSO;  it has put

I disagree. What has led us here is a monopolistic DNS system that has not had
to be subject to the forces of an open competitive market.  That has led us
where we are today.  There has been no free-for-all to date.

> international trade at odds with the individual.  It's bought us
> a present in which there are no more domain names.  Those that are left
> are hotly contested in the media, in the courts, and in public opinion.
>
> Why not at least explore an approach that offers a potential alternative?
> One whose road may lead away from the current situation, rather than
> more deeply into it?

Restricted TLDs present way more problems than they solve, Mark.  We've only
touched on them so far, given a more indepth look the problems would be quite
long.

Whereas a non-restricted TLD does not confer any illusions of authority or
certification or legitimacy.  Restrictive TLDs may end up leading to a large
number of lawsuits over this very issue alone.

Karl can better elaborate on some of the reasons for that.

--
William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
DSo Networks  http://dso.net/