[comments-gtlds] New gTLDs

Dear DNSO,

I have been following your progress regarding the gTLDs for several years now and I congradulate the care you have been taking.

I understand that the responsibility for making decisions about the gTLDs is great and can see why there is so little consensus. I expect that the internet itself might still be on a drawing board if we were to have waited for everyone who had an opinion to agree.

I welcome your recommendation to add six to ten gTLDs - personally favouring the greater number.

I have a strong opinion that .web should be the next gTLD and as such I have sought out and registered with the Image Online Design's .web registry in advance. With .web you know what you are getting (as with any appropriate ."three letter word" but .web as with .net the relevance is integral.

As for other gTLDs .shop .store .firm .business etc. would all be valuable to their owners and those people's customers due to their simplicity and logic, while .info .help .advice .support etc. would be appropriate for notice-board sections of the internet where people could expect to find information or links to information that they need.

I very much hope that the delays are now almost over. While statisticly there are plently of .com .net and .co.xx internet sites, in real terms no one would ever get their email them if their address was composed of some random series of letters, numbers and hyphens. Furthermore, for business purposes it is essential that the web address refects the business and so the apparant scarcity of "decent" web addresses is inflating the market in a purely distructive way. A £35 registration should not suddenly be worth £100,000 just because it is the only one. It encourages people to squat and hog addresses which can only undermine the internet as an industry.

I hope you regard my support as well intended,

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Anthony Gallagher