[tz] Weird PST8PDT and EST5EDT behavior on Alpine Linux

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed Mar 6 15:39:45 UTC 2024

RA> and it's probably time to assume everyone supports the Olson
RA> identifiers.

Operwrt, at least in general, does not.  (Nor does aix, if anyone still
cares.)

I have a clock (actual hw clock) which uses ntp by way of an embedded
mips board running a version of openwrt.  It lack the ram and storage
to use tzdb.  So I have to use EST5EDT,M3.2.0/2:00:00,M11.1.0/2:00:00
for the timezone.  (The explicit /2:00:00 might be avoidable, but the
use of self documenting data can be beneficial.)

I mention aix above because their docs were the top of the search
results when I needed a reminder of the details of non-Olson syntax.
It had, of course, been more than a decade since I'd last used or
even seen EST5EDT anywhere before I had to work out the above.

(I must say it was a bit anoying that the library kept the original
definition of EST5EDT et alia rathar than moving with the legislation.
But only a bit.)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>