[tz] NZ Leap Day Self Pay Petrol Pump Failures

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Fri Mar 1 14:45:12 UTC 2024

Paul Gilmartin via tz said:
> > In related news, leap day also broke the issuance of driver's licenses in four prefectures in Japan. This occurred at about 20:15 local time, or 11:15 UTC, so it's not clear how the leap day caused the problem - perhaps a once-a-day app run after the end of the work day?
> >
> > https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/society/general-news/20240229-171789/
> I could imagine such a problem's arising from an attempt to compute
> the expiration date by adding an odd number of years to the
> issue date.

Not directly related to this, but it reminded me: the UK has (19th century,
if I recall correctly) case law about this topic. To be precise, what is
meant by statements like "three months after 31st March"?

The court decided that you move to the relevant month and, if it doesn't
have that day in it, step *back* to the last day of the month. So the
answer in that example is 30th June. And 31st March is never exactly a
month after any date.

So anyone born on 29th February reaches adulthood on 28th February 18 years
later.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.