[tz] possible change to daylight saving rules in Palestine

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 24 19:45:30 UTC 2024

Thank you for letting me know that the Palestinian cabinet is scheduled
to respond this week to your address to them about daylight saving time
during Ramadan. It would be convenient for cell phones and computers
using the TZDB database if the cabinet decides to spring forward on
April 13 at 02:00, and fall back on October 26 at 02:00, as that is what
is predicted in TZDB. If the cabinet decides differently, I appreciate
your offer to let us know as soon as possible.

We are planning to issue a new TZDB release soon. It'd be helpful if any
changes for Palestine could be incorporated in this new release, so that
downstream users don't have the hassle of dealing with extra releases. I
will cc this message to the tz mailing list to let people there know
about this possible effect on our release schedule.

If the cabinet needs reminding, I'll mention again that it's helpful to
get a year's notice about unexpected changes, as discussed here:

https://www.icann.org/en/blogs/details/how-time-zones-are-coordinated-13-03-2023-en