[tz] Kazakhstan (all parts) switching to UTC+5 on March 1, 2024

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Jan 21 01:51:07 UTC 2024

On 2024-01-20 08:31, Tim Parenti wrote:

> I was a bit more hung up, though, on the ISO 3166-2:KZ codes.
> https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:code:3166:KZ and
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:KZ
> seem to imply that they were all changed from alphabetic to numeric codes
> in November 2022.

Oh, thanks, I had missed that. I vaguely thought that there were both
numeric and alphabetic codes and as the list was already sorted by the
alphabetic codes I preferred that. But if they're numeric now (ouch) we
should go with numeric as in your patch.

> That, and it seems more than a bit fiddly and error-prone.  Western
> Kazakhstan belongs in +05 with Asia/Tashkent, where it's been and will
> remain after the change, and not with Asia/Dhaka in +06 even though that's
> listed directly above Kazakhstan's eastern regions that are transitioning.
> Fixup attached as 0002.

Thanks for catching that thinko.

Yes, it's a bit fiddly. I did attempt to generate zonenow.tab
automatically but couldn't come up with anything that worked at all well
with tzselect. So I settled for fiddly, with "make check" catching
obvious errors (though obviously it can't catch arbitrary commentary
errors such as the commentary error you just fixed).