[tz] Kazakhstan (all parts) switching to UTC+5 on March 1, 2024

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Jan 19 21:56:23 UTC 2024

On 2024-01-19 11:15, Tim Parenti via tz wrote:
> I've installed the attached patch to the
> development repository.

Thanks, I installed the attached further patches to pacify 'make check'
for zonenow.tab, and to update some related commentary and diagnostics.

As you can see, zonenow.tab needs care and feeding when these sorts of
changes are made. The file will need further changes after the clocks
change in Kazakhstan in March (as well as in Greenland later in March).
This sort of thing is one reason I put off creating zonenow.tab for so
long....

I also wrote Kazakhstan's ambassador to the US, asking when the clock
changes would become official. Today's announcements make it sound like
unofficially it's going to happen but there is at least one more legal
hoop to jump through. It'd be helpful if that were cleared up.

I also referred the ambassador to our usual guideline
<https://data.iana.org/time-zones/tz-link.html#coordinating> of a year's
notice of changes, and suggested that Kazakhstan's government warn cell
phone users that on March 1 they can set their phones to Tashkent time
as a workaround if the phones haven't yet been updated automatically.