[tz] Vadsø, Norway mayor wants 26-hour days

Tim Hitchins Tim.Hitchins at ekkosense.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 12:51:36 UTC 2024

According to POLITICO it's extending the day

https://www.politico.eu/article/norway-arctic-region-asks-eu-commission-for-26-hour-day/

> By extending the length of the days, Pedersen hopes that more people will be inspired to move to the remote region. Ensuring that the area is populated is “more important than ever” in light of Russia’s war against Ukraine, Pedersen added.

I don't think anyone is asking for shorter hours, they want longer days. The idea is to still sleep for 8 hours per "day", but then have (in this case) 18 hours left, instead of 16 hours left. Over a 13 day (312 hour) period, you sleep for 96 (12*8) hours - 30.7%, vs the 104 hours wen using the 24 hour cycle - so 33.3%, in effect gaining 8 hours of waking time per 13 days.

What would make (slightly) more sense (it's still pretty out there) would be a 28 hour day because that syncs up with the week, so you just lose 1 day per week, rather than it shifting relative to the week. Of course, you still have the difficulty of syncing with the calendar.

See the attached image, cropped from https://xkcd.com/320/, CC BY-NC 2.5.

[cid:613c4132-f3d8-4a43-b5e0-1350368ce7f8]

Of course, in the far north (and south), the length of the night can vary from 0 to 100% of the time, so this 26 (or a 28 hour cycle) is less drastic.

Looking into this sort of thing might be sensible so we're "more" ready for the likely eventual need compare time on Earth vs on Mars.

Tim