[tz] update to Portugal work in progress; a new release soon?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Apr 9 18:08:15 UTC 2024

My recent %z and Africa/Maputo changes overlap somewhat with your
work-in-progress changes for Portugal and its former possessions. As
penance I attempted to rebase those WIP changes; please see attached.
This rebase also attempts to address further comments made last month.
In particular:

On 2024-03-12 20:12, Tim Parenti wrote:

> For Africa/Bissau and Africa/Luanda, where Shanks mistakes the decree date
> for the transition date, I definitely agree; thanks.
>
> For Africa/Cape_Verde and Africa/Maputo, I think there is still some
> residual value in mentioning "Shanks said something different", since we
> aren't sure there wasn't some other law that could have introduced zonal
> time to any given colony prior to the May 1911 decree.

I did some more research into Africa/Maputo and hope I resolved them in
the Africa/Maputo change I installed earlier today. For the other items
mentioned above, I adjusted the commentary in the attached, which I have
not yet installed.

Perhaps it'd be a good time to do a new release soon after this is
installed, as that will give more warning to downstream users about the
%z change to the main data, before there's anything but historical
changes in the represented data.