[tz] Unearthly time zone in the news

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Apr 3 17:36:33 UTC 2024

On 2024-04-02 22:16, Arthur David Olson via tz wrote:

> https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/apr/02/moon-nasa-coordinated-lunar-time?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=edit_2221&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1712106451

Thanks for the heads-up. There seems to be no acknowledgment in the
White House press release of a similar effort launched by the European
Space Agency last year, and the Guardian missed the boat on reporting on
whether there are now two competing efforts to specify time on the Moon.
I hope we are not going back to the bad old days, when France's prime
meridian differed from Germany's.

Anyway, for now I installed the attached proposed patch. If anyone knows
about efforts to coordinate European and American timescales on the
Moon, please let us know.