[tz] RES: Timezone for Brazil

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 10 23:47:19 UTC 2023

On 10/9/23 23:25, Guy Harris via tz wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2023, at 5:45 PM, Fabrício Rennó <fabricio.renno at sxte.com.br> wrote:
>
>> These are the reasons for my suggestion being sent:
>> - I noticed many samples with "area/country/location" (ex.: America/Argentina/...) and I believe this is a better approach;
>
> The *only* examples of area/country/location are in Argentina.  Paul, why is Argentina a special case here?

The idea was the same as for America/Indiana/Petersburg. We have that
name because America/Petersburg would likely be confused with
Petersburg, Virginia.  We have America/Argentina/San_Juan because
America/San_Juan would likely be confused with San Juan, Puerto Rico.

There was no similar confusion for Brazilian locations so there was no
need to create a subdirectory for Brazil.