[tz] RES: Timezone for Brazil

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 10 20:51:10 UTC 2023

On 10/9/23 17:45, Fabrício Rennó via tz wrote:
> As I've mentioned in my initial e-mail, Brazil officially has 4 time
> zones (-2, -3, -4, -5), therefore for anything time/schedule related in
> Brazil a person should opt among only those 4 time zones options.

On my long list of things to do is coming up with a table that would let
users do that more easily. It would be like tzdb's current zone1970.tab,
which partitions the world into zones where clocks have agreed since
1970; however, it would partition the world into a smaller set of larger
zones whose clocks agree now and are predicted to agree in the future.

This would be something along thne lines as you suggested, as people in
Brazil would have just four zones to chose from in this new table.

> Perhaps somewhere on the way of the IANA historical evaluation should have considered the possibility of two branches (official time zones; relevant places local times) or even other detailed lists, instead of just a single list.

We already have two such lists (zone1970.tab and zone.tab), and a new
file (zonenow.tab, say) could be a third list that would work as
described above.