[tz] If leap seconds go away, should TZif leap-second tables expire?

Hal Murray halmurray+iana at sonic.net
Wed Nov 29 08:20:28 UTC 2023

Paul Eggert said:
> Should TZif leap-second tables have no expiration date if leap seconds  are
> discontinued, as draft -09 suggests? Or should they have an  expiration date
> of (say) January 2100, which is likely a lower bound on  the date that the
> leap-second regime would be replaced by some other  regime, such as leap
> minutes? Or should we do something else about TZif  leap-second expiry after
> leap seconds are discontinued?

I suggest waiting.  Everybody else is going to have the same problem.

As part of working out the no-leap details, somebody will have to pick a value
so they can say something like "we won't have any leaps for the next N years".
Then you can plug that number in.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.