[tz] localtime crash and fix

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Nov 29 07:49:02 UTC 2023

On 2023-11-25 00:30, Alois Treindl via tz wrote:
> The size of local_starage is in the range of 80 kb, not exactly something for a "small stack".

True. It'd be nice to make it smaller, and to allocate more RAM only if
needed (as this would support even-larger TZif files), but nobody has
had the time.

> I think you save only 1kb extra spece for fullname, and some 30 bytes for tzhead.

It's more that we might as well not limit the TZ string to 1 KiB. That
is, as long as we have allocated that 80 KiB object anyway, we might as
well use it to support TZ strings longer than 1 KiB, since it's easy.

I installed the attached commentary to try to make this a bit clearer.