[tz] make error

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Nov 19 21:40:44 UTC 2023

On 2023-11-17 11:41, Guy Harris wrote:
> Perhaps the currently-52-lines-long (as of 2023c) README file could, in
> the section that talks about building the code, more vigorously point
> people either to the Makefile, as it does now, or to a separate document
>   (which, if it contains just text, might be more readable than a
> Makefile comment), including explicitly saying "IF YOU'RE ON AN OLDER
> SYSTEM, SUCH AS RHEL 7/CENTOS whatever, YOU NEED TO READ THIS SECTION OF
>   THIS DOCUMENT AND DO WHAT IT SAYS IF YOU WANT TO COMPILE THIS CODE".

Thanks, I added some wording along those lines in the patches I just
installed; see my recent email[1]. I didn't emphasize the wording by
capitalizing it, though, as I figured overemphasizing it might distract
from other important stuff that's also in README. I also edited
Makefile[2] to make it more clear how to tailor its settings, including
an example for this RHEL 7 issue, as well as to fix some of Makefile's
incompatibilities with POSIX that I noticed while I was in the neighborhood.

Although at some point we could add an FAQ file, a proper FAQ would be
considerably more work.

[1]: https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2023-November/033250.html
[2]: https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2023-November/033249.html