[tz] Antarctic research base Vostok local time

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Dec 21 20:06:21 UTC 2023

On 2023-12-20 20:00, Brian Inglis via tz wrote:

>> Given that we mishandled Vostok for decades, I'm not optimistic about
>> taking on more work in that area. Evidently it's of limited utility.
>> Perhaps we should let sleeping dogs lie.
>
> I think the project no longer has that option,

We don't have the option to remove existing entries; they will be
retained indefinitely, if only as Links. We do have the option to not
try to track down the complete time zone history of every Antarctic base
that has ever existed. Such histories are in many cases simply not
available - the people who knew what time it was either don't remember
now or have passed away, and there are no reliable records. And the
utility of such an effort would be questionable.