[tz] Antarctic research base Vostok local time

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis at SystematicSW.ab.ca
Thu Dec 21 04:00:51 UTC 2023

On 2023-12-20 18:18, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 2023-12-20 14:47, Brian Inglis via tz wrote:
>> This might mean that we define Mirny UTC+7 and Progress UTC+5 rules and/or
>> zones with Vostok switching between them.
>
> Given that we mishandled Vostok for decades, I'm not optimistic about taking on
> more work in that area. Evidently it's of limited utility. Perhaps we should let
> sleeping dogs lie.

I think the project no longer has that option, as it is now installed and used
on every mobile phone and laptop everywhere in the world, and every time there
are any issues, they seem to manage to find this list via IANA, and expect
affiliates of that organization to be responsive, as we are all part of the
Internet's global bureaucracy, with unlimited funds, manpower, and time! ;^>

Just you try to convince them that it has all been done by a total of 3 part
time volunteers, with a maximum of 2 at any time, for over 37 years!

Although they have been heartily supported, and sometimes hindered, by 1000s of
contributors of opinions, wishes, and some facts, expressed in ~25k emails over
that period, with links starting in 1995.

--

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry