[tz] leap_second.list not updated after latest IERS Bulletin C

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Dec 13 01:49:24 UTC 2023

On 12/9/23 13:30, Tim Parenti wrote:
> It still falls short, though.
> of the ideal that the leap-seconds.list file itself also contain the notice
> so we (and others) don't have to duplicate it elsewhere:
> https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2017-April/024988.html
>
> It also doesn't necessarily allay the other concerns.

Perhaps we could work around the copyright-notice problem by adding
appropriate verbiage to the LICENSE file. This would require some
thinking, though.

One other problem just occurred to me. Since the IERS variant of
leap-seconds.list is not public domain, putting it into tzdata would
contradict Internet RFC 6557 section 7 "Data Ownership"[1], which says
that tzdata is public domain and therefore is exempt from a bunch of
rules that I'm not familiar with and would rather not become expert in
if I can avoid it. I suppose this could be worked around by writing a
new RFC that addresses this issue but that'd surely be a good bit of
work in its own right.

For now, I expect we're better off sticking with the NIST variant since
it's public domain. If NIST stops distributing their variant then it
might even be better for us to distribute just the *data* (which are
identical in the two variants - they differ only in comments). We could
do that by removing comments and recalculating the checksum as needed.
Although I wouldn't like this solution, that's often the case when
lawyers are involved....

[1]: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6557#section-7