[apnic-announce] Announcement: New root server sites in the Asia Pacific

[Note "reply-to:" field]

Dear Colleague,

Today APNIC announces a new cooperative project initiative, to bring
more root server sites into the Asia Pacific region.  This will be done
initially by installing mirror copies of the F-Root server which is
currently operated by the ISC (Internet Software Consortium, the
non-profit organisation responsible for the "bind" software).  These
copies will be announced into the Internet routing system using the "BGP
anycast" technique, which will ensure that traffic from any location to
the F-Root is directed to the nearest server site.

The sites which are supported will be fully operational root server
sites, however this initiative is currently a trial project for APNIC.
We have been asked many times to take some involvement in root server
operations, but we need to gauge carefully the cost and effectiveness of
the activity. This will be done over the coming year, while at the same
time the benefits of this development will be experienced by many in the
region.

Initial sites for new root servers in the region are under negotiation.
Additional sites will need to be selected carefully, however I would be
interested to hear from any appropriate party which is willing to
assist. Please see the press release below for further information.

We hope that this initiative will be widely supported by the APNIC and
Asia-Pacific Internet communities, in the interests of a more stable and
accessible DNS infrastructure in this region. As members of that
community, your feedback is most welcome, either to me directly, or to
the "apnic-talk" mailing list.

Best regards,

Paul Wilson
Director General.

===

http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?day0/223210010

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 17, 2002--ISC (Internet Software
Consortium) and APNIC (Asia Pacific Network Information Centre) announce
an agreement to dramatically improve the strength and integrity of the
Internet infrastructure worldwide. ISC and APNIC will jointly pursue the
operation of new root name servers in the APNIC region, using mirror
copies of the existing F-root operated by ISC. This agreement will
strengthen the Domain Name System (DNS) by deploying additional
resources to handle growing Internet traffic and to disperse malicious
traffic directed at root servers.

    Paul Wilson, Director General, APNIC, commented, "Internet security
is on everyone's minds these days, and the DNS infrastructure has been
shown recently to be a real target. APNIC has often been urged to
support operational security efforts, and this is one way we can really
help. As this project develops, we have the prospect of providing root
services throughout the region, with substantially improved reachability
and response times. That will be of noticeable benefit to Asia Pacific
ISPs and end-users alike."

    The new servers will be placed in locations to reach the largest
possible Internet user base, including diverse IP transit providers, and
carrier-neutral Internet exchanges. Every effort will be made to see
root DNS queries answered locally for as many Internet Service Providers
(ISPs) as possible.

    Paul Vixie, ISC Chairman, added, "Until now, ISC has offered root
name service from local data centers using our own resources. Even
before the recent attacks on the root server system, we realized that to
fully serve the entire Internet community - and to defend against
further attacks - we needed our F-root name service to have a global
footprint, with mirrors in many countries. APNIC's strength and vision
makes them the perfect launch partner for this effort. ISC will continue
to manage all F-root servers, but we're now reaching out to the Internet
community to help us offer the service in a lot more locations."